At Potteries Auctions, we are specialist auctioneers of many different items, collectables, and pieces. One of these specialist areas is our Antique Watches & Modern Collectable Timepieces department. We love seeing these incredible pieces enter the auction room, and we often get questions about watches, so this tells us, you must love these items too!
Watches will always stand the test of time, as they are still as fundamental to daily life today as they have been for centuries. We’ve rounded up some of our popular posts and information pieces all about watches.
Our top 5 wristwatch articles
1. A vintage wristwatch can be a timely investment! This article talks through some excellent examples of fine collectable second hand wrist watches which have a certain old-fashioned appeal.
2. Wrist.Watch.Waterproof – Do you have a Dirty Dozen Vintage military Watch? Has this article title caught your attention? Well, we’re not surprised, it’s a fascinating topic.
Issued in 1945, the now famous WWW wristwatches were produced to the highest of standards and are highly sought after. Before wristwatches were issued to the military, personnel were issued with pocket watches like this Omega Steel pocket watch. Whilst watches supplied to the British Army could be somewhat basic during World War II, those supplied to the Royal Air Force (RAF) were usually of a much higher grade. The now famous “WWW” watches were also known as the “Dirty Dozen” and were issued in 1945. You can read more about these styles here.
3. How to tell if your Patek Philippe watch is valuable? An unbelievably important name in watch making, if you find a PP watch, you could be sitting on a small fortune. This article will tell you more about why Patek Philippe watches have a reputation for being ‘haute horology’ and are generally considered to be the top brand among all the Swiss watch manufacturers.
4. Are all Rolex watches valuable?A great question asked and answered in this article. It would be safe to say that investing in a Rolex is always going to be a sound investment with the brand of luxury watches holding their prices very well indeed, no matter what vintage of watch you have in your possession. We have auctioned many Rolexes over the years at Potteries Auctions and this blog will help guide you on spotting whether your Rolex is highly sought after or not.
5. Is my Vintage Seiko watch worth anything at auction?Seiko watches are one of those items that should be coming into our valuation days more often, but they don’t. They have been sold all over the world for over 60 years, so there must be plenty hidden in drawers and misplaced in the attic. Perhaps their value isn’t as understood as the popular Rolex or Omega, and the other big names in gentlemen’s watches, but our hope with this article is to show how you could be sitting on a rare and valuable Seiko watch.
If this post has made you want to buy a watch, we can help! Here at Potteries Auctions, there are a number of ways you can bid on any upcoming lot. Including in person, online and over the phone.
Please contact us to arrange beforehand if you’d like to come and bid in person or via telephone, or bid online from the comfort of your home with The Saleroom and Easylive Auctions. Commission bids can also be made through Potteries Auctions.
How To Sell a Vintage Watch or Timepiece at Auction
At Potteries Auction we want your sale to be hassle-free and easy. We care about getting the best price for you for your item. It could be a family heirloom, or it could be time for change. Whatever your reason for selling, our experts can help you with a valuation if you’d like to sell, rather than buy.
Talk to our team of experts who will be able to give you an accurate auction estimate on your piece and recommend the best auction for your piece. You can join us at one of our valuation days every Tuesday. Email us for an appointment firstname.lastname@example.org call us on +44 (0)1782 638100 Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm. We’d to see you there!
If you can’t come in and see us in person but would like to submit items for auction or valuation, send us an email to email@example.com with details and a photograph (e.g. edition, style, measurements, condition) and one of our experts will provide information and auction estimates. Alternatively, give us a call on 01782 638100 to arrange an appointment.